2216 W. Hirsch, Chicago, IL 60622
Gwen Kasper-Couty, Principal
Linda Montes, Assistant Principal
Attendance and Literacy Events MARCH 2020
• Dr. Seuss’ Birthday Spirit Week: Monday, 03/02 – Friday, 03/06
• Semana de espíritu de cumpleaños de Dr. Seuss
• Perfect attendance for Monday, 03/02 – Friday, 03/06
• Asistencia perfecta para el lunes, 03/02 - viernes, 03/06
• Dr. Seuss Classroom Door Decorating Contest
• Concurso de decoración de puertas del aula de Dr. Seuss
• Students with perfect attendance for 03/02-03/13
• Los estudiantes con asistencia perfecta para el 03/02 - 03/13
• Students with perfect attendance for 03/16-03/27
• Los estudiantes con asistencia perfecta para el 03/16 - 03/27
• Parent appreciation Wednesday, 03/11 and 03/25
•Apreciación de los padres Miércoles 03/11 y 03/25
• Post a picture and #hashtag it anytime from 03/16-03/2
• Publique una foto y #hashtag en nuestro Instagram o Facebook 03/16 – 03/27
• Create a book around attendance school wide competition coming up. Stay tuned for more details
• Cree un libro sobre la asistencia. ¡Estén atentos para más detalles!
Sabin is a Dual Language Magnet school that attracts children from all over the city. Sabin Dual Language Magnet School fosters second language acquisition and an appreciation of language and culture with a focus on students becoming bi-literate in Spanish and English. We offer self-contained dual language classrooms in grades kindergarten to 6th grade, adding seventh grade in 2017-18 and eighth grade thereafter.
At Sabin we believe we are all learners and are responsible for taking active ownership of our learning. We develop learners’ identities through the work of Columbia University’s Teachers’ College Reader’s Workshop practices and Lucy Calkins Writer’s Workshop practices. Within the workshop framework we help students apply their understanding of how they learn to new information they come in contact with daily.
We strive to lift the level of the learner’s work and to stimulate enthusiasm for that work in all subject areas. We expect students along with their parents to monitor their learning using Sabin’s student performance goal sheets that include assessments such as NWEA data in reading, math and science as well as Fountas & Pinnell reading levels and behaviors. The goal sheets are updated every eight weeks and after each testing cycle. We encourage students to stay focused on their goals and do their best to continue to grow as learners.
We offer GO Math! in all grades Kindergarten through 8th. Go Math! is a math curriculum implemented world wide and is used by more than 7 million students. It is aligned with the Common Core State Standards.
Sabin students attend art, physical education, library and media classes as part of their regular school day. We partner with Columbia College (Chicago) to offer after-school programming until 5:30 p.m. Monday – Thursday through the Community Schools’ Initiative.
Sabin provides all students opportunities for field trips throughout the school year. Our 7th grade students travel to Springfield, Illinois, our State Capital. This trip is the culminating activity for the Illinois’ Constitution Unit and Test. Students are able to experience firsthand Illinois history on this day long Springfield excursion.
Our 8th grade students travel to Washington, D.C., our nation’s capital. On this week long trip, students are able to compare what they have learned studying the U.S. Constitution in class to real life experiences touring Washington D.C.